Diddy-Dirty Money - Shades (Ft. Lil Wayne, Justin Timberlake, Bilal, and James Fauntleroy)



Ever so often I put my giant collection of music on shuffle just to find some jams I haven't listened to in a while. Last week, Diddy-Dirty Money's "Shades" came on, and I remembered how terribly great that song is. The beat? Dope. The harmony and arrangement? Omg, fantastic. The lyrics? Some of them are vividly descriptive, a la, "Girl if you want, I'll pour a gallon of gasoline on my heard just to light your cigarette". Others, however, are, shall we say, lacking in imaginality, like the whole Justin Timberlake verse, that twice, on two different times, reference X-Men. An example:
Go ahead pretend I’m a drug now let me see you take it / I can read your mind, read your mind, Professor X / We can press rewind, press rewind, VHS
So why am I posting this? Because of the aforementioned harmony and arrangement. The way Balil and James Fauntleroy do the hook is something out of awe. Shit needs to be respected. Shit feels like it's out of the 60s. It also reminds me of The Five Heartbeats. No beat, all vocals. The video is queued up for the last rendition of the hook. Start the video over to hear the whole song.

No comments:

Post a Comment