Song of the Day: Dum Dum Girls - Lost Boys and Girls Club [Music Video]

I heard this song because I got the Dum Dum Girls email blasts (which I don't remember signing up for) and for once, I actually read one of the various music related email blasts I get. And, damn, I'm super geeked that I did because I'm kind of hooked on this song (and to a lesser extent, the video, too) after the first listen.

It's funny, the first thing that popped into my head while I was listening is that this song feels like it could be (maybe even should be) the theme song to the millennial generation. Maybe not the totality of millennials, but definitely those who are feeling the brunt of the job crunch. "There's no particular place we are going, still, we are going", Dee Dee Penny, the lead singer, spells on the hook. And I feel like that line is 100% spot on because as a collective, this generation is just...there. We're passionate, sure, but passionate about what? Into what are we channelling our energy? We're babies of the tech boom, sure, but we didn't build it. A few contributed but I feel like there really isn't anything to call our own. And the way the guitar riff during the hook cuts me makes it feel even more real on some "tat my name on you girl so I know it's real" Drake-type shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment